[wisb] redstarts of a feather/Horicon frustration

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 12:09:04 -0700 (PDT)

  Hey all  ----   The other day just before work I stopped in at Abbey Park
again,  ( just seems to be a promising warbler hangout)  I  took a stroll in
the woods, heard some action, and the pishing began.  At the end when all was
present I gathered 9 birds, only 3 sps. total,  2 chickadees, 1 parula (for the
last gained species for August) and 6 redstarts.  At least 4 of those could've
been some other species, but I was ok with that anyway.    So, the other issue.
  Guess what happened to me on Monday?   We had to take our summer  company
back the airport in Madison, my future Dutch son-in-law, and I tried to get the
others in the car to want to check out Horicon on the way back, but being
impatient as they were, I tried to get there while they were snoozing anyway,
and by the time I got there, pulling over to the shoulder woke them up, "We
just wanna get back home",   Me? "aarrrgggh!  Well let me just check the
immediate birds,"
  which, highly odd for me is to be there, period,  when I haven't been there
in like 5 years, and they couldn't understand?   Well needless to say what I
did see, egrets, 2 GB herons, a mess of ducks and such way out the east side of
49, a  PB grebe up close, a few fly-around gulls.   So, being bummed out I'll
want to go back, now that I got a taste of it,  probably the 18th after the
Fall bird count, make a Big Fall Day out of it.  Maybe someone would to meet me
there, would be later in the afternoon, rain or shine.    Paul Bruce, groaning
in Oshkosh    Winnebago Co.