[wisb] recent sightings - norhtern Door Co.

  • From: "Roy & Charlotte Lukes" <rnclukes@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birders Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 19:31:03 -0500

I've been preoccupied with the Peninsula Music Festival so I am slow in
posting.

Thursday morning at about 10:20 I was driving north on Spring Rd. nearing
Hwy F & Hwy 42  east of Fish Creek when I noticed about 80 or more Common
Nighthawks swirling above and heading east.

Friday at home around 11:15 am the bird bath came alive with activity. There
were eight Tennessee Warblers bathing with a female Scarlet Tanager. They
all were a very similar green color that it looked like "mom and the kids",
she being about twice the size of the warblers. She then left and soon there
were 14 Tennessees plus two Black-throated Green and one Golden-winged
Warbler all landing in the baths. Five minutes later they were all gone! We
have had one or two rose-breasted grosbeaks back at the feeders after a
three-week hiatus. One or two ovenbirds also have been frequent visitors to
the birds baths in the past few days.

Tonight, Sunday,  at 6:45 pm just south of Sister Bay along highway 57 we
saw 40 to 50 nighthawks swooping low and swirling about catching insects.
This kept on for about a mile.

Charlotte Lukes

4 miles SE of Egg Harbor, WI