[wisb] questions for the records committee

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:02:59 -0700 (PDT)

   Good afternoon, Wisbirders ---
      I had to check my files from all my past August sightings and the only
other record of GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH   I  had since 1980 was in 2007.   I heard
2 birds fly over last night.  How early in the record books is that?   Anyone
else with any other thrushes yet, besides Daryl's Swainson?   Aside from that,
I had a FOY the other night, should you believe it, but while outside I saw a
nighthawk heading south. so that was new for the year for me..    Hey, while
I'm on the subject of records, how far back in time can we go with
''need-to-be-documented" sightings or hearings?  Long before I joined up with
the Wisbird bunch I'm able to recall just a couple things that stand out in my
records.  This one particular May night right after I got done shopping, and in
the thick of a heavy push of birds, I most clearly remember the following voice
I heard fly northward:  ringaringaringaringaring,  while the song descended.  I
know where
 I'm going with this one. Can anyone else figure it out?  I'd have to try and
find the year that this highly probable Sprague's pipit  happened. Plus the
other one, which I'll have to try and find the warm weather date and year as
well, happened SW of Oshkosh, I was by the Ripple and Clay Rds. intersection.
I heard and  found the source of a longspur-like call note flying high up. I
was stunned at the sight of a black T on the tail, being either
Chestnut-collared or McCown's.  I don't recall if Smith would have a T or not.
But it was definitely not Lapland.
    In other news, I don't know if I shoud like this or not, but the city did a
number on the Oshkosh North high's conservatory.  3 acres were plowed out to
put in a water retention basin, the very trees that harbored many awesome
sightings of passerines. So does the bad come with the good, or what?  There
still are a good number of trees remaining, just not the way I was used to
seeing them. Nonetheless, I was quite floored.
    Seems like eveyone's seeing a lot of good stuff around these days. Great
job to those with odd or rare sightings, keep the reports flowing.
     Paul Bruce, Oshkosh
     Winnebago Co.