[wisb] owl survey question

  • From: joan schnabel/jeff falk <joanjeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 08:39:19 -0500

yes, last night was exceptionally beautiful and we did our owl route
in Buffalo County.  We had 2 barred owls duetting  starting with the
who cooks and going on to cackling, laughing and just outrageous
sounds with a faint third owl joining occasionally.  When they  quit
the coyotes started in.  My  question  is:    At a different stop  we
heard a single call repeated numerous times that was sort of a
krauuuuuu.   I can't even say it, much less write it.  It was very
high up in the tree, close to the road.  AFTER   the listening period
I hooted at it and it called back but with the same call.  I am
assuming that this is an owlet?  Maybe GHOL ?  are barred babies big
enough to call at this time.  Is there anything else we could be
mixing this up with.  Thanks in advance for any advice.   Joan
Schnabel, Fountain City, WI