[wisb] leucistic red-bellied WP Waupaca Co

  • From: "Bill Bright" <brightw@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn " <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:56:19 -0500

I had a leucistic red-bellied woodpecker come to my yard at 7 this morning.
It was a male and had its red plumage including a pinkish wash on the belly,
but was lacking any black. The rest of the feathers were whitish. It was a
stunning bird, especially when flying. Unfortunately, it didn't hang around
very long and I was looking east with the rising sun coming through a spruce
making observation poor.

It was very vocal and flew back and forth from the trees in my yard and my
neighbor's yard. It wanted to land on the suet but the starlings and
squirrels prevented that. The resident red-bellied male was not a happy
camper but made no apparent attempts to chase it off. The leucistic bird did
land on one feeder and fed on cracked corn and/or millet for a minute and I
was able to grab a couple of quick photos with my Blackberry but they are
extremely poor quality. If anyone wants to see them, backchannel me and I
will send them to you.

If it returns, I will try to get better photos.

Bill Bright
Iola, Waupaca County