[wisb] fw: Dodge Co., Egrets, Dunlin, Purple Martin

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 20:34:34 -0500

 From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2014 8:32 PM
Subject: Dodge Co., Egrets, Dunlin, Purple Martin
 I actually started my day at Tivoli Island in Watertown. There were
probably several dozen YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS and about 8 HERMIT THRUSH.
The thrush and some of the yr warblers were on and near the ground around a
pool of water from the overnight rain offering excellent looks. Also seen
there were several BROWN CREEPERS, 1 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER, both
KINGLETS and various other usual residents. I then headed up Hwy 26 on the
west side of Horicon Marsh and had 3 flyover FOY GREAT EGRETS and a TURKEY
VULTURE on a deer carcass.  Nothing unusual on the Auto Tour Loop. Same
along Hwy 49 but with 2 TRUMPETER SWANS on the south side. Ledge Rd. had
various ducks. Then on Point Rd. I saw 1 FOY DUNLIN with 3 PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS. As I was heading south on Hwy Z I saw 2 great egrets on the
ground and they didn't look too comfortable in the weather. Lastly I
stopped by the martin houses on the end of Palmatory St. in Horicon and saw
2 FOY PURPLE  MARTINS. Overall there is extensive field flooding around
Dodge County and there seemed to be ducks everywhere. Almost forgot, hadn't
read it anywhere, but Dike Rd. gate is open. I drove in but saw nothing
notable.
   Dave Schrab
   Dodge Co