[wisb] Re: eBird News & Features - Flycatchers!

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: judith@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:18:37 -0500

Judith and all-
Here's how I did it:

1 - Click View and Explore Data, choose Graphs and Maps.
2 - Pick your species - I used Acadian, WIllow, Alder and Yellow-bellied
Flycatchers
3 - Choose your Location - Pick United States, then choose Wisconsin from
the state list. IMPORTANTLY - select the "Counties in Wisconsin" radio
button to the right, or you will not be able to pick counties and it will
use all of Wisconsin. Click Continue.
4 - Select your county(ies). I chose Dane, Iowa and Green. More data will
make your graphs a little less spiky, so more counties can look a little
cleaner. Make sure you pick ones that you think will have the same migration
pattern, though (like Ashland and Douglas, etc.)
5 - Now you should see the map of records for all time for those counties.
At the top of the map edge are a number of other options, like Abundance,
Frequency, etc. These are how (I believe) they generated the flycatcher
maps. Clicking one of these will translate the same geographical map data
into numbers of birds by time graphs. Here's my map of
abundance:http://tinyurl.com/3oqp2r7
.

You can see with this map that in south-central Wisconsin, it looks like
most Empids hit at about the same time, with Willow Flycatcher (of those
four - remember I didn't include least) dominating the numbers. Only Acadian
peaks late, but the numbers of that species are still much lower than
numbers of Willow and also Alder Flycatchers. Early in migration, May
1stish, it seems that we're most likely to see Willow and Yellow-bellied
Flycatchers.

Let me know if anyone else has questions about getting to these graphs! I'd
be happy to help.

Jesse Ellis
Madison, Dane Co

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Judith Huf <judith@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Andrea,
>
> I found the article interesting but I couldn't figure out how to get those
> graphs to work for Wisconsin.  What am I doing wrong?
> Judith Huf
> Milwaukee

Jesse Ellis
Post-doctoral Researcher