[wisb] Re: common species in steep decline

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wpmueller1947@xxxxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 09:29:10 -0500

 I finally looked at this list. It really makes you think a bit deeper about
some of our common birds. Who would have thought Grackle. I see flocks of a
couple hundred at a time. But then I thought about my area in Stoughton.
Still very common, but are their as many nesting in my block as before. I
don't think so.
 I'm just a Wisconsin birder, so I don't see the big picture on many of
these species. Looking at the Long-tailed Duck, for us, it just seems like
they just moved further from shore, in the winter.
 For a number of years I thought the numbers of Pintails was up in
Wisconsin. But did that mean they lost large areas of the nesting grounds?
Or a shift like the pelicans did. A 2 year drought could really knock
numbers down.
 Thanks Bill, for keeping us up to date with many of avian friends. Steve
Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.