[wisb] birding vs bird watching

  • From: <dkuecherer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 16:06:09 +0000

This is has been brought up many times over the years.  Old duffers like myself
look at it with a lot of different perceptions.

The word "Birding" does not include other hobbies or past times.  I draw birds
and there is natural resources in the drawings, leaves, branches, stones, etc)
That Is called drawing wildlife or drawing birds.  Of course most of you know
that I photograph quite a bit..  That is called photographing. I collect bird
figurines and bird carvings.  This is called being a collector.   I have been
with several persons who hear a bird (circa, Red-breasted Nuthatch), list it
for having found it and keep on going without really looking at it.  I can sit
at home and listen to tapes if I would like to go that route. For every list
that I have, all states, counties,  countries, I do not list a bird unless I
see it. Seeing the beauty, etc.   Each to his/her own.  So, to me the word
"birding is not a fit for all the activities involved.  If I stated to someone
that I am a birder, even to another bird person, they would not know about
photographing, drawing, collecting, et al.

I like to use "bird watching" when I am out looking for birds. One can look in
a field guide as look at a plate drawing or photograph, but that is all you
see.. the standard plate.  Watching birds is a pleasure.  They dip, bob, weave,
carve, act up, chase each other, nab from a feeder.  This is bird watching.
You do not get that in a guide or other bird books.   It also informs a person
exactly what your doing.  Watching birds.

Just my 1 cent worth to this good debate.

Dennis Kuecherer
Ozaukee County