[wisb] Yellow-rumped Warblers @ PBC

  • From: "Mike McDowell" <birder@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[Wisb]'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:23:12 -0500

I would estimate over 1,000 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS based on 15-20 birds
(conservatively) every 100 feet for 1.7 trail miles. They were all over
everything and everywhere. Dottie Johnson and I went back after breakfast
and added a few more species, including BROAD-WINGED HAWK. After she left, I
found an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER. Here's my edited list for the day:

Location:     Pheasant Branch
Observation date:     4/23/11
Number of species:     60

Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Turkey Vulture
Cooper's Hawk
Broad-winged Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Bonaparte's Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Tree Swallow
Barn Swallow
Tufted Titmouse
Brown Creeper
House Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Pine Warbler
Northern Waterthrush
American Tree Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Purple Finch

Mike McDowell
Madison - Dane County
www.birddigiscoper.com
www.pheasantbranch.org
www.facebook.com/mmcdowell

Hello,

Started off this morning at Pheasant Branch and had a nice walk with
Mike, Dottie, and Charles. One Pine Warbler, one No. Waterthrush, and
literally hundreds of Yellow-rumps - more than I've ever seen in one
place. I'm sure Mike will post the entire list.

The Gorman-Baers: Catherine, Peter, Johanna, and Eliza