[wisb] Re: Winter Finch Forecast, 2010-2011

  • From: John Idzikowski <idzikoj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 17:07:11 -0500 (CDT)

With the unusual number of early Pomarine Jaegers already documented from Lake
Superior I wonder if we can make other predictions for this winter. Poms
apparently will forgo nesting in years of low lemming nos. becoming nomadic
through late summer and perhaps moving south earlier than usual. Were not all
of the photos so far of Poms of adults, subadults and not juvs? Will this then
be a big winter for Snowys? We have already had a few Goshawks here- what is
the status of Grouse populations?

John I
Milwaukee