[wisb] Willets, etc. Kenosha

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 13:51:25 -0500

It finally feels like spring here in Kenosha!  I birded the lakefront
from Alford Park to Southport Park - there was a cool breeze coming in
off the lake but it was sunny and 57 degrees.

Alford Park:  The best birds were a pair of western - type WILLETS on
the beach slightly closer to Carthage College than the Pike River.  A
state bird for me, I believe.  Also in the area were:

1 Killdeer
1 Spotted Sandpiper
45 Cormorants flying up the lake
2 TVs
2 Mourning Doves
1 Northern rough-winged Swallow
1 Tree Swallow
10 Barn Swallows

Simmon's Island:
4 Caspian Terns
1 Belted Kindfisher
4 Greater Scaup
1 Purple Martin (In the big Sibley, Purple Martin is listed as a
"falcon imposter."  I didn't think I would ever fall for it, but this
bird looked like a Merlin to me from a distance!)
10 Cormorants

Southport Park:
285 Bonaparte's Gulls!  (I counted by fives.  Three large groups were
resting on the lake)
60 Cormorants (Bringing the day's total to 115)
Red-winged Blackbirds, Starlings, Grackles, House Finches, etc.

Good Birding!
-Max Witynski
Kenosha, Kenosha (Normally Madison, Dane)