[wisb] Willet, Red-necked Grebes - Ashland

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:58:17 -0600

A brief stop at Long Bridge near Ashland on my way home from work this evening
produced a Willet among ~10 Greater Yellowlegs and at least 16 Red-necked
Grebes.  There were likely more Red-neckeds but they were at the limits of
scope range amidst the 1000+ scaup and other divers along the bay's NW shore.
Also had my first Cliff Swallow of the year, a small flock of ~40 Bonaparte's
Gulls, and good diversity of dabbling ducks.

Lake Superior water levels are exceptionally low this year and there are ample
sandbars and flats under most seiche conditions.  Shorebirding should be very
good over the next 5-6 weeks.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady