[wisb] Wi-Mn birding trip

  • From: jbahls@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:35:06 +0000

Bird buddies
Set out on Tues. Taking the long way to Twin Cities from Dodge Co WI. Went
along the Wisconsin river very little open water hence little to report bird
wise, except a pair of bluebirds near the town Barnum. Mississippi river from
Ferryville to Lacrosse was iced over. From Lacrosse we went to Whitewater SP in
MN. Got just glimps of what looked to be a dark eagle, coming out of the park
:/  Some trumpeter swans and a massive raft of common mergs and goldeneyes
along one lead of open water on the Mississippi  Overnited in Wabasha Mn. Drove
over to Alma WI the next AM waiting for the National Eagle Center to open. Alma
had 50 + eagles around the power plant and a coyote on the north end of town.
Eagle center was great!  Next day was a meeting in Twin Cities then north from
there to McGregor Mn (Aitken Co) made a pass on some of the hotspot roads for
owls but came up empty. Friday AM was a different story. Started on Aitken Co
18 and found a couple of grey jays on the wires. Then a Great grey owl flew
across the road. We watched that bird for 20 minutes. At the intersection of
Aitken co 18 and 5 was a hawk owl. When we were watching the owl a dozen common
Redpolls dropped by to mob the owl on the wire.   We went north to MN 230 had
White wing crossbills there and a single ruffed grouse. On the way back along 5
a northern shrike was spotted. Photos to share later.
Jeff Bahls
Lowell Wi
Currently HWY 53 heading south

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from U.S. Cellular####################