[wisb] Whooping crane OK, transmitter not...

  • From: Daniel Gómez-Ibáñez <dgi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISBIRD <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 07:40:23 -0500

Yesterday I received a copy of the following email from Brooke Pennypacker of
Operation Migration, in reference to the young Whooping Crane
that went missing from a flock of ten (see 24 Oct post from Tom Schultz):

"Yesterday afternoon, our missing bird was spotted by a birder and we went on a
merry chase to find it.  It was with about 150 sandhill cranes and the
transmitter was not working,  Unfortunately the bird flushed with the rest of
the sandhills and we were unable to recover it.  It is good to know the bird is
alive and well."

Daniel Gómez-Ibáñez
Madison, Dane County