[wisb] Whooping crane

  • From: Sandy Rueckert <sandyrueckert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Apple Inc." <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 10:48:35 -0500

The crane was at Indian Lake this morning. When I arrived, about 20-30
Sandhills were standing on the ice in the marshy. I did not see the whooper. I
was preparing to drive away when a white crane with a rusty wash flew out of
the reeds. It stood there for quite awhile, then when the Sandhills flew away,
it took off, at first seeming to follow them, but then turning back, flying
over the park ( including right over my car) . The black primaries were clearly
visible. I watched with binoculars until it disappeared from view, flying in
the direction of highway 12.  With the rusty wash, it appears to be a young
bird.  I did not see a fellow whooper and so assume it may have gotten
separated from other whoopers and started to follow some of the Sandhills at
some point.
There were also shorebirds in the mud flats near the cranes; couldn't  really
tell for sure because they were too far out but I thought they were killdeers.
Sandy Rueckert
Middleton

Sent from my iPhone####################