[wisb] White-crowned Sparrow - Bayfield County

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ashlandbirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ashlandbirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 15:19:22 -0600

I had an awesome morning of atlasing barrens habitat west of Washburn, Bayfield
County. Best bird was an out-of-season WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, which appeared
uninjured and flew fine. Next best birds were flyover Evening Grosbeak and Red
Crossbills. However, breeding activity stole the show as I confirmed breeding
for 24 species on my 2+ mile hike, including Vesper and Clay-colored Sparrows,
Eastern Towhees, Brown Thrashers, Red-tailed Hawk, American Kestrel, Pine
Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and more. The trip was a nice reminder of how
much fun atlasing can be, especially in open habitats where birds are more
visible.

White-crowned Sparrow doc shots:
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/160860179

Ryan Brady