[wisb] What a day!!

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 17:17:44 -0600

After striking out on the Vermillion Flycatcher yesterday, along with
a number of other birders, I decided to try again today.  When I
arrived around 8 there were quite a few birders present (some had
been there by sunrise).  Some birders left but others arrived, making
probably 25-30 birders there some time during the morning.
As has already been noted, we had a Bonaparte's Gull appear going on
9.  Some time after that a second smallish gull appeared, the
immature BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE.  It put on a great show for a good
half hour plus, last seen flying through out scopes while we were
initially watching the VERMILLION FLYCATCHER.  (Now that is a unique
combo!)  The flycatcher appeared a little after 9:30 initially, and
was eventually seen by everyone between then and 10:30+.  One
definitely needs a scope as the bird is waaaay back on the north/
northeast corner of the lake. During this time Lapland Longspurs (20
+), Snow Buntings (40+) and a few Horned Larks and Am Pipits went
over.  This was an unbelievably fun time with great birds and
company, one of those "moments" that birders file away in their
memories.

I stopped at Horicon Marsh on the way home, as Chris noted.  He was
nice enough to point out the general area where the immature ibis was
present.  I watched it for over a half hour, with the sun coming out
during the last minutes.  It is a Plegadis type, dark with very
little notable color besides its darkness.  (The head is somewhat
lighter.)  In the scope I could not see any coloration bordering the
eye (which was dark).  According to several bird books, the Glossy
should start showing a blue line bordering the eyes---however I am
not certain how soon that starts appearing in the fall.  I think it
is probably a White-faced but it would be great if others could view
it in the upcoming days.  (It is located on the north side of 49,
before the dead tree on the south side.  It was in view for 30+
minutes when it then flew behind some cattails.  During all this time
it was actively feeding!)  Behind the ibis were some shorebirds
(there were no shorebirds on the east pond from the pumphouse---too
much water, nor on the west end of 49).  I counted 30 Black-bellied
Plovers, 1 Am Golden Plover, about 50 Dunlins, 4 Greater Yellowlegs,
1 Long-billed Dowitcher and a HUDSONIAN GODWIT!  When all the
shorebirds flew at one point, I was able to see the black underwings
of the godwit, plus the black and white tail pattern.

As I stated in the beginning, in one day kittiwake, Vermillion Fly,
Plegadis ibis and Hudsonian Godwit.  WOW!

There certainly are some remarkable birds in the state right now.
Good luck.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI