[wisb] Watching out for Fire Birds.

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 13:54:47 -0500

Drought is one of the biggest factors, in my opinion, forcing
non-seasonal bird movement.  Right now you may start thinking of Bird
species that may flee the drought and fires plaguing Texas and Southern
plains:  http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Zone-tiled Hawks?  Maybe not, but Swainson's Hawks may drift north.
Wetland-associated birds such as Black-necked Stilt, Cinnamon Teal and
to a lesser degree Snowy Plover. Doves (White-winged,Common Ground-Dove)
may be forced to move and maybe some Passerines.

Now all we need is a good southerly wind flow and the drought to
continue to see if anything unusual shows up.

Lastly, Horicon's White-tiled Kite (pending acceptance) of last fall may
have been a one bird so affected when the drought was first building.

Joe Schaufenbuel
Stevens Point,
Portage Co., WI