[wisb] Washington Island - Snowy Owl

  • From: "Chari Rutledge" <charir@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WISBIRDN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:17:10 -0600

A call from birding friends this morning alerted me to a Snowy Owl on the
"potato dock" on the south end of the Island.  There were too many of us (7)
observing the owl on this long narrow stone dock and it left, heading up the
west shore of the Island.  Hopefully it will stick around.
Other observations over the past few weeks:  thousands of goldfinches on the
Island.  Everyone seems to have them.  We actually stopped feeding for a few
days as they were emptying feeders faster than we could fill them.  We have 8
feeders filled with sunflower seeds and they were all full of goldfinches.
Mixed in with the goldfinches were a few pine siskins and redpolls.  The
goldfinches seemed to have moved on this week and we are left with the normal
population and a couple of redpolls.

Went over to the east side last week and saw flocks of gadwalls, several tundra
swans, mute swans, pintails, mallards, widgeons, redheads and a few coots.  The
dabblers love that side of the Island as it is so shallow with the water this
low.  Our side (south, and deep water) is still quiet.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Chari Rutledge, Washington Island, Door County