[wisb] WT Kite and other stuff

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 20:32:14 -0500

As Mike Reese posted previously we saw the white-tailed kite this morning
on Apache Ave. It was a life bird for me and well worth the 2 hour drive to
get there. After it left the area I went to 6th Ave marsh. Amongst the many
Canada geese I found my foy Ross's goose. Also 2 whooping cranes, 3
trumpeter swans and 1 tundra swan, I could see the yellow spot in front of
the eye. There were also sh cranes, several great egrets, great blue heron,
many ducks and a large raft of coots. As I was watching 2 mature bald
eagles came into the area. One came in over the coots and actually hovered
for a couple seconds before dropping into the water and coming out with a
coot. It flew to a stump and proceeded to rip into it, the feathers were
flying. This incident added an exciting bit of drama to the morning. And I
didn't know eagles would hover. Other birds seen around the BV Grasslands
included song, Savannah, field and fox sparrows, palm warblers, yr warbler,
rc kinglet, rusty blackbirds, turkeys and Wilson's snipe. There were many
sandhill cranes staged around the area with 1 more whooping crane in one
field.
Dave Schrab

Dodge Co