[wisb] WILLETS and SOL. SANDPIPER - UW Campus - Wed 4/30

  • From: "Josh Mayer" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "wackybadger@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 10:46:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
I usually don't see anything too out of the ordinary on my daily walk along a
small portion of the Lakeshore Path on the UW-Madison campus.  However, today I
saw 3 WILLETS and 1 SOLITARY SANDPIPER together just west of Willow Creek.
There is an area of muddy ridges pushed up by waves and some nearby cattails
west of the creek and this is where I saw both species.  Yesterday, I saw one
SPOTTED SANDPIPER near the western edge of these muddy ridges but did not see
it today.  Other more typically seen species here were 100+ ring-billed gulls
and a few duck species including wood, blue-winged teal, pied-billed grebes,
and mallards. Robins, cardinals, song and house sparrows, tree and barn
swallows, and a yellow-rumped warbler were also seen.

Josh
Madison, WI (Dane)

Life Bird List: http://wiscsnablog.wordpress.com/2014/03/19/lifebirds/
Flickr Photos: