[wisb] WI birding

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 18:13:20 -0500

Decided to check out some of the local areas to see the migrants. Ahem, what migrants????

Heckrodt this morning had single Yellow-rumped Warbler, Ruby-cr. Kinglet and Hermit Thrush. Had my first WI House Wren. High Cliff SP, with the northwest wind, was even worse. Really nothing.

The B pond, by Hwy 32 had a Dunlin.

This afternoon the Shiocton area had 600+ yellowlegs in a flooded field west of Shiocton along Hwy 54. It was a 3:1 ratio of Lesser to Greater. Impressive sight. Also present was a single Wilson's Phalarope and 5 Pectoral Sandpipers. The 76 pond (just before W/WW junction) had 2 Semipalmated Plovers and 3 Least Sandpipers.

A Marsh Wren was singing with the Yellow-headed Blackbirds along the Van Patten Rd dikes. I finally managed to add all the swallows for the year.

And last, a light morph Rough-legged Hawk was hunting along Shady Lane (Winnebago co).

While Mark and I were in AZ, we kept hearing about all those great migrants. Shame on you for chasing them out of the state---ha, ha.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI