[wisb] WGLBBO Waterbird Watch - April 10 (Harrington Beach State Park)

  • From: Jonathan Stein <steinjj19@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 18:31:09 -0500

Today was a fun-filled, highly enjoyable morning by the lake.
Highlight-packed, there was variety (our first 50-species day!) and plenty
of volume to keep me occupied. First things first: another wonderful loon
flight, with 54 Common and 11 Red-Throated added to the count total. Also,
both regularly occurring teal species posted their highest numbers of the
season, frequently mixing in with the many flocks of Red-breasted
Merganser. Bay ducks continue to pass by in good numbers, particularly
Redhead (220), which had another triple-digit showing. And lastly, we added
several first-of-seasons including Caspian Tern (2), Great Blue Heron (2),
American Black Duck (3), Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1), Swamp Sparrow (1) Hermit
Thrush (2) and Turkey Vulture (1). As of now, tomorrow is looking very
good with southwest winds and partly cloudy skies. Might even get a raptor
flight going!

Jonathan Stein
Belgium, WI