[wisb] WBCI volunteers gathering and field trip THANKS

  • From: Nancy Richmond <polarpastor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 08:06:25 -0500

Many THANKS to Ryan Brady, Andy Paulios, Kim Grveles and Tom Prestby and all
the birders at the WBCI volunteer gathering and field trip Friday and
Saturday in Port Washington.
The Friday eve session on results of "our" monitoring efforts and future
opportunities will encourage us to keep on and maybe do something new. Even
Andy managed to stay awake - but then he was speaking :-).

A word of encouragement to those of you who haven't yet volunteered for a
WBCI bird monitoring project: You can make a difference for Owls. Nightjars.
Marshbirds. Red-Shouldered Hawks. - All cool birds.  Check out the website.
http://wiatri.net/projects/birdroutes/index.htm
Take a look at the protocols. Look at the routes near where you live or in
places you would like to bird. Sign up for a monitoring project. You can do
this. And you'll enjoy it.  (Unpaid advertisement!)

We had a great field trip on Sat. Thanks to the leaders and everybody else
along. No Kittiwake or Scoters, but I think everyone got good looks at
something in which they were interested. I am slowly learning how to watch
gulls. Not much opportunity at home. At Two Rivers our dwindling group spent
an hour observing numerous Glaucous and Great Black-Backed Gulls among the
Herrings and Ring-billeds. There was a concerted search for a Thayers, but
nothing conclusive. I'm quite sure I wouldn't know a Thayers if it pooped on
me, but thanks to everybody there, I'm sure I can ID Glaucous and GBB (yeah,
Chris, "gulls are easy").
As always among groups of Wisconsin birders, there was great
camaraderie. Sharing of scopes and spotting of birds. Tom described to me
how he (and now I) can tell that that line of tiny dark specks flying on the
horizon are Long-Tailed Ducks not merganser or Buffleheads or something
else. You really can tell the difference! Amazing.

It was great to meet some of the people who go with the names I see on eBird
or here on WisBirdn. Birds are fun. Birders are fun people.

Happy Migration!

Nancy Richmond
Polar - Langalde Co.