[wisb] Very busy Fox River

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:13:22 -0800 (PST)

       Good Tuesday evening, birding friends ---         Had a few times to get
to some various areas today and obtained 2 FOYs.   Finally some long awaited
Goldfinches were in the neighborhood in a birch.  And one of my visits to the
river provided an upclose ID of a 2nd year Great black-backed gull.  Got real
nice looks of it. This was seen by the railroad bridge at the mouth of the
river, where many mallards, 1 hen common merganser and a handful of other gulls
were busy diving for shad.  It is so screwy to watch those mallards actually
diving and catching the fish.  Some gulls were acting like terns, wheeling
around a plunging from 10 to 20 feet up, most fun to watch. One of the gulls
almost took on a Mew image, so I studied it carefully, turns out the gonys spot
was a very pale red, almost non-exsistant, therefore the bill looked all
yellow.  Along the way to another locale I spied Titan sitting on the
water-tower as usual.
 Handsome male, this Peregrine.  A bald eagle drifted  by at that point too,
causing mass flocking from a 100 crows or so. The stop I had before seeing
Titan,  I had a weird duck mixed in with some mallards.  Anyone ever seen or
heard of a wild ''mallard" that  looks like a shelduck?  This thing was all
tawny colored but got darker up toward the head.  I actually saw it fly with
some mallards.   So all in all I had a decent time out today,  all open areas
of the river had some sort of activity.
      Paul Bruce, Winnebago Co.