[wisb] Varied Thrush in Hatley, WI (Marathon County)

  • From: Dan Belter <bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 23:08:42 +0000 (UTC)

There has been a female Varied Thrush visiting a feeder in the Village of
Hatley, which is in eastern Marathon County, since New Years Day. We first
found out about it yesterday, and today Myself, along with Myles H., Mary B.,
and Sarah S. all got to see it. Myles took some great photos of it too.

We did get permission for other birders to come and view this bird, which is
very easy to view while sitting in your car along side Columbus Street. The
house address is 500 Columbus Street in Hatley, WI. Hatley is located right
next to State Highway 29 in eastern Marathon County. Take the Hwy Y exit in
Hatley off of Hwy 29 and go north on Hwy Y (whcih is Curtis Ave. in Hatley) a
few city blocks to Clark Street. Turn left onto Clark Street (here you will see
a business called S&K Motorcycles) and drive west maybe 100 yards to Columbus
Street. Turn north onto Columbus St., cross over the Mountain-Bay State Trail,
and the brown colored house is right here on your right. The Mountain-Bay State
Trail runs right in front of there house.

The thrush is coming to the backyard bird feeders, so pull just past the
driveway and park along side Columbus Street to where you can see a single car
garage in the backyard (it's also a brown colored garage). About 20 feet from
this garage you'll see a stainless steel sink laying on the ground, and the
feeders are right next to this sink. The thrush comes into this feeding area
about once an hour on average, then goes and hides, or to rest, in the wooded
lot beyond here. I'm thinking this bird is a female due to its very light
colored but complete breast band and face band, less intense orange coloring,
and the back coloring isn't as bluish-gray as I have seen in the past of adult
males.

I did not get the full name of the home owners, but I know the lady who lives
here is Sharon, and she is very nice and thinks it is really neat to have a
locally rare bird like this in her yard.

Dan Belter
Village of Weston
Marathon Co, WI