[wisb] Upland Sandpiper (Wood Co.)

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 16:15:13 +0000 (UTC)

I heard and observed a single Upland Sandpiper east of Marshfield this morning.
Specifically it was 0.25 miles north of Highway 10 on County Road T, on the
west side of the road. Also present was a pair of Wilson's Phalaropes. They
were all (briefly) using a plowed field when I saw them. While the habitat use
may sound surprising to some, this is on par with the quality I've seen Uppies
in in other states where they're more common (i.e. Iowa, South Dakota).
It's pretty difficult to find Upland Sandpipers outside of Buena Vista
Grasslands in central Wisconsin, although where I saw this individual was not
too far from a past probable breeding site:
http://www.wisconsinbirds.org/plan/species/upsa.htm.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.