[wisb] UW Arboretum

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 11:35:17 -0500

I birded the arboretum from 7:40 to 10:40am.  It was completely cloud-covered
for most of the time but the sun made an appearance for a minute or two at
8:45.  There was a cool breeze from the north.  The temp was about 40 degrees.
Highlights:

FOY birds were three Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, one near Teal Pond and the
other two at the Wingra Wood parking lot.  Also near Teal Pond, high in one of
the trees, was a small flock of Rusty Blackbirds making their soft gurgling
sound.

When I first arrived I saw four Tree Sparrows flying around the Visitor's
Center.  Later there were several more out on Longenecker Garden checking out
the bluebird houses.  One was sitting on top of a birdhouse and did not move
for some time as if it were staking its claim to the house.

I always enjoy watching the Fox Sparrow jump forward and back in search of
food.  One was under a Mugo-like pine in Longenecker Garden.

My eBird report is appended below.

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson
Madison, Dane County