[wisb] Two very different FOY's in Madison

  • From: "Charles Henrikson" <ckhenrikson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birding Network" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:54:13 -0500

At about 3:30 this afternoon I walked a small part of the Ice Age Trail on the
south side of PD about one mile east of its intersection with M.
My first FOY, or is it FOF (first of the fall), was a group of three Dark-eyed
Juncos.  I may have seen a couple about a week ago at the UW Arboretum but
couldn't be sure.  All I saw was a flash of white on the sides of their tails
as they dashed into a bush.  The ones I saw today sat in a small, barren tree
so I got good looks at them.

My second FOY was when I was following a Red-tailed hawk across the sky and
came across a really large bird whose head was light blue with a few other blue
features here and there on the body.  The rest of the body was white to silver
gray.  The whole time I watched it, it never flapped its wings but glided as it
descended.  Remember this was about 3:40 in the afternoon and in Madison.
Okay, you guessed it.  It was Air Force One bringing President Obama in to
speak on the UW campus.

I told you that they were two very different FOY's!

Good birding to all,

Chuck Henrikson
Madison
Dane County