[wisb] Re: Tundra Swans-Dane Co.

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 21:29:53 -0600

The Tundra Swans at Lower Mud Lake in McFarland wintered over this year. I
saw 161 there on January 17 and a few other people reported good numbers
there on other dates. Last winter I remember 3 species of swans being there
in small numbers, but I don't
know if there is a precedent for so many Tundra Swans overwintering as they
did this year.
I also stopped at Lower Mud Lake today and saw the swans, but I didn't make
a count. Continuing are 4 previously reported Greater White-fronted Geese
and 1 blue phase Snow Goose. I was surprised by the huge number of Northern
Shovelers on the lake today. They must think its spring. As Pat mentioned,
waterfowl were far out and a good scope was necessary.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County