[wisb] Tuesday birding

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 20:15:36 -0500

I spent part of the day birding various spots in Winnebago and Dodge counties
mainly.  Highlights included Mascoutin Trail pond where no ibis were seen;  the
water is higher so the only shorebirds were both yellowlegs;  and a Merlin and
2 Blue jays chasing each other around and around.
Shorebird ponds in Dodge county yielded the following:  Jersey/A had water and
Killdeer and 1 Am Golden Plover (in breeding plumage);  A/151 had 5 shorebird
species including 2 Semi. Plovers;  I south of 49 had water with 12 shorebird
species including a Sanderling, 25 Black-bellied and 5 Am. Golden Plovers and
100+ Killdeer;  Point pond had water and several shorebird species including a
Stilt Sandpiper and a nearby Cooper's Hawk that made them very nervous.  The
Main Dike/TW is about dry with no shorebirds.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI