[wisb] Tree Sparrow Cirque du Sunset - Milw

  • From: Carol Moerke <cmoerke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 10:44:26 -0800 (PST)

We were charmed by six tree sparrows just before sunset.

They were popping up and down in a weedy field, graceful as could be.  As we
watched, we realized that they always landed near the top of a weed 3+ feet
tall, and their weight would slowly bend the weed, carrying them to the ground
where they would eat the seeds, then pop up and start all over again.

With all six repeatedly doing this so near each other, it was quite the
performance, and our first time seeing it.  Totally charming!

Carol and Barry Moerke
Milwaukee County