[wisb] Too many Osprey in Stoughton?

  • From: Patrick Ready <birdsready@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:29:21 -0500

Today I checked the Osprey nest behind the hospital and was surprised by
what I found.
Normally the nest is rebuilt from winters damaging winds and the hen could
be sitting on eggs by now. Instead I found the nest disheveled and another
nest being built on the next utility pole to the west. About 200 yards
away. Both sites had an Osprey pair. Then there was a 5th Osprey trying to
take over the original site. It kept flying in really close and being
chased by the male sitting with the female. The resident male had been
returning to this site for 13 years. This would be his 14th. I estimate his
age to be 16-18 years. Based on his black leg band. I don't know which male
he is at this point. It could be a younger male is trying to take over his
turf. This wouldn't be the 1st time. In the past he has always chased off
any intruders. But he's getting up there in age now. If both these sites
develop successful nests there will be 5 Osprey nest in the Stoughton area
Yahara R./Lake Kegonsa corridor.
Patrick Ready
Stoughton (Osprey capital of Wis)