[wisb] Re: Thrush Id help please.

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: newbirding@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:00:02 -0500

Yes, definitely a Hermit Thrush.  A bright rufous tail contrasting with
a grayish-olive back is the key ID point. Swainson's and Gray-cheeked
both lack the rufous tones of other thrushes. Hermits usually wag their
tails, too. Additionally, Hermits are the first thrush back in migration
(and frequently overwinter.)  It's a bit early for the other species.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI