[wisb] The last three days

  • From: Jeremy Meyer <jmeyer4044@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 22:56:26 -0500

Good evening, I was able to get out and enjoy the beautiful weather this
past weekend.  Saturday, I started at Veterans Park, nothing of interest,
except I was fifteen feet or so away from a displaying Red-winged
Blackbird.  I then went to Lake Park and didn't stay long.  There wasn't
too much activity.  Mostly Song Sparrows and juncos.  I continued south
along Lake Michigan,  stopping at Discovery World, Lake Express Ferry,
South Shore Yacht Club, Seminary Woods, Sheridan Park, Grant Park and
Bender Park.  Behind Discovery World,  I saw my FOY Horned and Pied-billed
Grebes.  Also there were a pair of Common Mergansers. The only other spot
that produced was Seminary Woods.  As soon as I got out of the car, I was
greeted by a Eastern Phoebe.  I continued through the woods and found a
handful of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Golden-crowned Kinglets and both
nuthatches.  The were juncos everywhere!  Probably thirty or more.  I did
not see the previously reported Fox Sparrows.
After all of those stops, I went to the Nicholson Wildlife Refuge.   I
found a Gc Kinglet and a Brown Creeper hanging out together.  I watched the
both of them for about ten minutes.  I continued along the pathway and saw
15-20 Blue-winged Teal.  They spook real easy, and flew farther out in the
field.  In the field with a little bit of flooding, I found a Pectoral
Sandpiper and a Lesser Yellowlegs.  While watching those, six Sandhill
Cranes flew in and landed.
Sunday, I started out in Racine county, checking the fields that are
holding water, for any shorebirds.  All I found were Killdeer.  I did see 6
blue-winged Teal,  4 Green-winged Teal and 17 Northern Shoveler.  I gave up
on shorebirds and decided to find the Fox Sparrows at Lake Park.  I found
at least ten of them, all by the wooden bridges on the north side of the
park. I was in full camo and those Fox Sparrows wanted nothing to do with
me.  I couldn't get them to come close to me.  There were a lot of people
walking around the park, though.  I also saw phoebes, Gc Kinglets,  Yb
Sapsuckers and Tree & Song Sparrows.

Today I was able to stop at South Shore Yacht Club after work and was able
to view the Red-necked Grebe and Common Loon that were previously
reported.  Thank you for the report.  The grebe was a life bird for me.
The view wasn't the greatest, because it was all the way out to the break
wall, but better than nothing.  On the south side of the yacht club, there
was a Pied-Billed Grebe and several American Coots.

I have pictures from the last few days at the link below, if you are
interested.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/20birds08/

Have a great night,
Jeremy Meyer