[wisb] The First Anna's Hummer in Wisconsin - 1991

  • From: "S. Frank" <pensacola634@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 11:19:56 -0600

These folks in Waterloo, WI have a "rare" find, but not the first..
Let's go back to November 1990 - it was cold - 38F, it was snowy, and there
was no internet and there were no super fancy fast digital cameras! AND
someone calls you and says there's an Anna's hummingbird on the feeder!
Bob Adams was the caller, and if you knew Bob, there was always a twinkle
of mischief in his eye. Was he kidding, incorrect, or...

Perhaps you already have heard this story, but...

Find this 1991 article about the 1st Anna's found in Wisconsin, from the
State bird watching group WSO -- Wisconsin Society of Ornithology's
birding magazine - the Passenger Pigeon - it was written by members of WSO
& the Ben Goss Bird Club and our dear friend Bob Adams was da guy who ID'd
the little cutie, in the story. I think you'll like the story's ending!

http://images.library.wisc.edu/EcoNatRes/EFacs/PassPigeon/ppv53no01/reference/econatres.pp53n01.bkranich.pdf

Spence Stehno
Benjamin F. Goss Bird Club - Waukesha