[wisb] Thanks for deterrents for nesting house sparrows

  • From: Mary Strasser <mrstrass@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 10:38:02 -0500

My thanks to all who suggested sparrow deterrents for bluebird nest boxes!
First, I am going to try the suggestions to scare the sparrows with fishing
line tacked to the birdhouses.  If that doesn't work, I may temporarily take
the bird houses down until the sparrows disperse.  I presently have the entry
holes plugged with fabric.

I will also try a Gilwood style birdhouse (built by Steve Gilbertson) that I've
previously used with good success at another location.  I may install that to
see if the rod by the entry hole will spook the sparrows in my current yard.

This morning I saw a male house sparrow chase a male bluebird away from one of
my two bird houses.  The sparrows are very aggressive and it may be better to
just take the bird houses down for awhile to see if the sparrows will go
elsewhere.  I have had bluebirds nesting here for three years in a row without
sparrow problems.  I really think it was the severity of this winter that
brought them to my yard and feeders.

Mary Strasser in rural La Crosse
La Crosse County