[wisb] T. Solitaire MIA? (Portage Co.)

  • From: tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 05:18:43 +0000 (UTC)

Well Gary, the Townsend's Solitaire (TOSO) here on the UW-SP campus, hasn't
been seen a while. However, I surmise that this is because he is trying to stay
warm during this ultra-cold snap, and is therefore frequenting the crabapple
tree less and for shorter periods of time. So I'll post next time I see him. I
did see what I believe was a Sharp-shinned Hawk zipping by high in the sky on
Wednesday...Regardless, here's the weekly update I have:

Saturday, Feb 5: TOSO seen at 9:20am by Rob Pendergast.

Sunday, Feb 6: TOSO (and American Robin) seen at 9am by Gerry Janz, and seen
again by me from 1:45-2:15pm.

Monday, Feb 7: TOSO seen at 10:45am, singing away. No American Robin. This was
the last time I saw the TOSO, so it hasn't been seen from Tues-Fri.

Location: Mainly crabapple, but also Paper Birch, spruces, and Burning Bush
outside of Smith Hall on the east side of Reserve Street on the UW-SP campus in
Stevens Point. I sure hope Gary is still around...

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.