[wisb] Swamp sparrow ID

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:33:45 -0500

Can anyone help with a swamp sparrow ID?
Went to the UW arboretum this morning to the wetland boardwalk.  Saw several
of what I think were swamp sparrows that were hanging out in the reeds.
Here's the best photo, though I did get others if anyone wants.  They did a
long trill not unlike a chipping sparrow, but these birds were much grayer.
(I of course saw a chipping sparrow too, which looks a little different and
they hang out near the fence near Longnecker gardens.

http://image62.webshots.com/762/3/81/19/2333381190059461204qnShjH_fs.jpg

I'm also wondering whether swamp sparrows ever show a central breast spot
like for instance an American tree sparrow.  My photo almost seems to show
one.  I also found this photo which seems to show a spot:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28692649/wid/11915829/displaymode/1176/rstry/286
92491/

All responses welcome, thanks!

-Mike Duchek, Madison, Dane Co.