[wisb] Sugar River - Prothonotary Wahblers

  • From: Andy P <andypaulios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:36:16 -0700 (PDT)

Folks,

WI-DNR biologist Mike Foy and I took the SS Prothonotary for a trip down the
Sugar River on Thursday morning.  Mike's box design seems to be paying off as
we checked around 25-30 boxes and had 6 active PROW nests!  The females sat
very tight and didn't come out until you pulled the top off the box.  They
would all leave the hole doing a wing distraction display and chipping in some
nearby trees.

There were lots of male Prothonotary Warblers.  Nearly every box had a
territory or was likely between territories.  We had a similar number of House
Wrens in the boxes and a few boxes that were being used as dummy nests by
either species.

Other birds heard/seen included Pileated Woodpecker, orioles, vireos, creepers,
Cerulean Warbler at the Sugar River Park boat landing, and a few yellow-billed
cuckoos.  The mosquitoes were tolerable and the frogs have obviously enjoyed
the recent water levels.

Andy Paulios
McFarland, WI