[wisb] Re: Squirrel eating Woodpecker

  • From: Marge Anderson <manderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:32:35 -0500

I had one of these gruesome experiences last summer.

My mom wanted me to id a dead bird - probably a window kill - on her cabin deck
in Vilas county.  I looked for the bird and couldn't find it.  Later, one of
the wretched chipmunks she insists on feeding was sitting up on the edge of the
deck, with the remains of a headless bird in its paws, chomping down on its
neck.  The head was already gone!

After I hollered and chased off the chipmunk, I id'ed the poor headless bird
tentatively as a red-eyed vireo, but will never be sure.

Marge Anderson, Dane (and Vilas) County