[wisb] Spring arrivals, Brown County

  • From: Bill Krouse <bkrouse1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 0:42:10 +0000

Hello All.
Sarah & I ran our two Bluebird trails after I got home from work today. We did
not have any Bluebirds nesting, but did have two boxes with Tree Swallow nests
started. We had seen our first Bluebird in our yard on Saturday, April 9th.
After we were done, we took a trip to Sensiba Marsh in Suamico. At the boat
landing near the mouth of the Suamico River, we had two pair of RUDDY DUCKS.
The DNR has done much clearing and reconstruction of the marsh across the road
from the boat landing, this could be good shorebird habitat later this spring.
I walked a short distance out onto the dike, and found my personal sentinel of
spring, the YELLOW HEADED BLACKBIRDS were back in the impoundment. Also had a
pair of GREEN WING TEAL in some open water. On the Bay side of the dike were
good numbers of the usual ducks & gulls. I happened to zero in on a small flock
of BONAPARTE GULLS resting on the edge of the ice, and nearby was a GREAT EGRET
working the water edge.
We drove through Barkhausen after that, and added a Chorus Frog to our evening.
There was a BUFFLEHEAD pair in the first pond by the goose feeder. The main
impoundment was filled with nice ducks, to include HOODED, COMMON, & RED
BREASTED MERGANSER, BLUE WING TEAL, RING NECK DUCKS, GOLDEN EYE, RED HEAD
DUCKS, NORTHERN SHOVELERS and COOT. We exited the auto tour and went down the
east end of Lineville Road to check for Northern Pike in the pike ponds. We
struck out on those, but saw a BALD EAGLE, a NORTHERN HARRIER, and another
GREAT EGRET as we drove the road, near the end by the Bay.
A pretty nice end to a very much appreciated spring day. Good birding everyone!
--
Bill Krouse
Suamico, Brown County, WI

Be a Wild One and landscape with native plants!
"http://wildonesgreenbay.blogspot.com/";

Attract Bluebirds with BRAW.
"http://www.braw.org/";

Be a Friend of Whitefish Dunes State Park.
"http://www.friendsofwhitefishdunes.org/";

Ask me how to adopt a Greyhound!
"http://retiredgreyhoundathletes.org/  or  http://www.gpawisconsin.org/";