[wisb] Spring Green this morning (with photos)

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:14:04 -0500

I spent the morning at Spring Green Preserve in Sauk County. Before looking for
the uncommon birds that have been reported, I decided to take advantage of the
morning light for some grassland bird photography. Here are a few digitals from
the morning:

Dickcissel

http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/113681156

http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/113681154

Grasshopper Sparrow

http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/113681092

http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/113681093

Lark Sparrow

http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/113681091

Once the lighting became a little too harsh for photography I got rid of the
digiscoping gear and hiked up the bluff. The White-eyed Vireo was singing in
the first opening where Aaron found it but it was rather faint and difficult to
hear over the catbirds. I didn't hear any Chats here but I did hear the bird at
the base of the bluff in the NW corner of the prairie. It can be heard fairly
easily from the gate which blocks off the trail that goes north through the
prairie. I didn't see or hear the Blue Grosbeak, Loggerhead Shrike, or either
of the Mockingbirds. At least 5 Orchard Orioles were present among the other
common birds.

Perhaps the highlight of the morning though was finding two Prairie Racerunners
and having an excellent look at one of them-- a life herp for me. Seeing
lizards in Wisconsin seems a little surreal.

Good birding!

Tom Prestby

MAdison