[wisb] Spring Green Preserve--White-eyed Vireo

  • From: Aaron Stutz <agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2009 16:56:50 -0500

Hi all,

I went for a long hike at Spring Green Preserve today starting around
11AM.  No sign of the N. Mockingbirds, Blue Grosbeak, or Loggerhead
Shrike, but I did hear the Chat and found a WHITE-EYED VIREO.

To find the WHITE-EYED VIREO:
Hike the bluff trail all the way to top.   The first opening you come to
faces west--far to the west are agricultural fields, your view to the
south is blocked by trees and to the north is the top of the bluff.  You
will know you are approaching the first clearing when you start seeing
some black and white private property signs and some pink phlox on the
forest floor.  If you look down from this first opening there is a small
meadow and to the north trees and shrubs become increasingly taller
until you hit a line of red cedars near the top of the bluff.  To the
south of the red cedars I could hear a WHITE-EYED VIREO calling
repeatedly.  There is a trail that goes down into this valley, but it is
not marked on TNC's trail map and I did not hike down it.

Other notable species:
4 Orchard Orioles
many Dickcissels
many Lark & Grasshopper Sparrows