[wisb] Spring Green June 10

  • From: Jeffrey Lyons <henslow1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:06:20 -0500

Good evening

While I did not find the Shrike, or the Blue Grosbeak, it was still a very good
summer day out there. Lots of Lark and Grasshopper Sparrows, Dickcissels and
Field Sparrows. It is fascinating to watch Grasshopper Sparrows throw back
their heads, open their mouths and tic-tick-tick away, followed by a whispering
warbler that makes me wonder how they can make such a lengthy song. On the way
back toward the kiosk, I noticed a couple of larger birds on the face of the
bluff, seemingly dark with white flashes, too far away to get a fine look at.
Could these be Mockingbirds? I thought I heard them up there, but only
intermittently. My first thought at that distance was "Magpie!", but there have
been posts about the mockers in that area, so I will leave it at that.

Jeffrey Lyons

Madison, Iowa County

It's a great day for a lifer