[wisb] Spotted Towhee at Nine Springs Weds. evening

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 09:16:13 -0500

Pat Ready and I had nice looks at the Spotted Towhee at Nine Springs
last night around 6:30 p.m.  Pat and another birder from Stoughton had
gotten a very brief glimpse at it shortly before I got there a little
after 6:00, but a passing bicyclist had flushed it back into the
underbrush.  Patience is the key, as it takes a while for the sparrow
flock to start coming back out after they're flushed by bikers or
runners.  The order seemed to be Song Sparrows and the one or two House
Sparrows, then Fox Sparrows, then Am. Tree Sparrows, then finally the
Towhee.  There was also a Chipping Sparrow or two.  Pat got a couple of
decent photos of the Towhee (it should be noted that, in person, the
bird is much more extensively spotted than the photos show.)

With that strong south wind, one wonders what else blew in?

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.