[wisb] Spotted Towhee and Sharp-tailed Grouse

  • From: Dan Belter <bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 15:13:53 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

This morning, Mary Backus, Sarah Sabatke and I took a ride over to Bloomer, in
Chippewa County, to see the Spotted Towhee that has been visiting a feeder here
for several weeks now. When we arrived, we were met by the home owners and had
a pleasant talk with them about this bird, which we had just missed by several
minutes before our arrival. Mr. and Mrs. Blinkman took us around to the north
side of their house where the feeders are at, and here we waited for 20 minutes
until the towhee came in to feed on the platform feeder. We all had great views
of this bird, along with all the other common feeders birds including two
Tufted Titmice.

After viewing the Spotted Towhee, we took a detour on the way back to Wausau
and headed over to the Pershing State Wildlife Area in northwestern Taylor
County. While driving along Ellis Road in the northern unit we found two
Sharp-tailed Grouse eating buds in a small birch tree not far off the road.

Dan Belter
Village of Weston
Marathon Co, WI