[wisb] Re: -- Speculation on Southwestern U.S. species birds in WI and nearby states

  • From: John Idzikowski <idzikoj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Alan Stankevitz <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 11:25:49 -0600 (CST)

I am showing the upper level jet chart to illustrate the movement of surface
weather systems guided by the strong upper level winds, not inferring that
birds move at these altitudes; it is then the circulation of winds around these
systems at or near the surface (925-850 MB) that I refer to- i.e. on the east
side of a low that will possibly facilitate the movement north of a vagrant.

There are lots of anecdotes from pigeon racers of changes in pigeon orientation
capabilities as there are lots of good correlates with vagrant events and
weather. I would add that if applying this to wild birds we might expect a
widespread vagrancy pattern across species not normally vagrating in fall and
the occurences would not be regional- our present bag of vagrants all have
precedent as vagrants in many falls to different regions. We should look at
archived data on such solar events in relation to vagrancy. Perhaps the obvious
question is can solar storms have an effect on the jet stream?

http://www.ehow.com/info_8412297_solar-flare-effects-jet-stream.html

John I