[wisb] Southern Kettle Moraine Ice Age Trail 9/7

  • From: "Jym Mooney & Carol Lee Hopkins" <hopmoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 16:46:20 -0500

I enjoyed a mostly solitary hike on the Ice Age Trail between Highways ZZ
and 67 in the Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest today.  Ran into a couple
of nice mixed flocks: pewees, titmice, chickadees, nuthatches, and seven
warbler species (redstart, hooded, black-throated green, chestnut-sided,
Wilson's, magnolia, and black-and-white).  Also several red-eyed and one
yellow-throated vireo.

I was keeping my eye out for hawks, and finally spotted a smallish hawk on a
branch, obviously eying a potential breakfast.  It then dove down through
the branches to chase a mourning dove.  I'm not sure if it caught one or
not.  A single dove flew off.  Unfortunately at this point two joggers came
running down the trail, loudly shouting their conversation to each other
even though they were running side by side.  I could not locate the hawk
again.  My only view had been from behind and below.  I'm guessing either
sharp-shinned or broad-winged, given its size and the fact that it was
hunting from a perch within the woods and flew down through the branches
after its prey.  There's always one that gets away...

Jym Mooney, Milwaukee